To meet ever-increasing demands for faster, more reliable data access, it is essential for organizations to deploy a modernized infrastructure that reduces latency, increases bandwidth, and ensures continuous availability.
Unprecedented performance is not enough on its own. Powerful analytics and advanced automation capabilities are required to transform current storage networks into an autonomous SAN. This requires a network that is capable of delivering these capabilities to maximize performance, simplify management, and reduce operational costs.
Legacy infrastructure was not designed to support the performance requirements of evolving workloads and NVMe-based storage. In fact, an aging network will impede the performance of the on-demand data center. By modernizing the storage network with Brocade® Gen 7, organizations will enable a faster, more intelligent, and more resilient network. This will maximize the performance, productivity, and efficiency of their storage investments and resources, even as they rapidly scale their environments.
Purpose-Built for Enterprise Deployments
- Designed to meet relentless growth and mission-critical application demands.
- Ideal for large enterprise environments requiring increased capacity, greater throughput and higher levels of resiliency.
- Design flexible architectures to increase agility with concurrent Fibre Channel, NVMe, FICON, FCIP, or FCoE connectivity
- Extend replication over distance with a highly scalable extension solution for Fibre Channel, IP, and FICON.
- Investment protection offering three generations of backward-compatibility support for connectivity to 8,16 and 32Gbps FC products in addition to the latest 64Gbps.
- Two modular form factors: 14U X7-8 with eight vertical port blade slots for large enterprise networks and the 8U X7-4 with four horizontal port blade slots for midsize networks.
- Safeguard mission-critical workloads from vulnerabilities with Gen 7 integrated security.
- Industry-leading Gen 7 FC increases performance for demanding workloads.
- Up to 31 Tbps of chassis bandwidth to address next-generation I/O- and bandwidth-intensive applications.
- Up to 566 million frames switched per second per ASIC, unlocking the full capability of flash storage.
- Breakthrough performance speeds up data-intensive application response times, allows more transactions in less time, and enables improved service level agreements (SLAs).
- Maximize NVMe and high transaction workloads with 50% lower network latency.
- Transform telemetry data into actionable insights to optimize performance and ensure reliability.
Simplified, Scale-out Network Design
- Brocade UltraScale chassis connectivity leverages optical Inter-Chassis Links (ICLs). These links can connect up to 12 directors, enabling flatter, faster, and simpler fabrics that increase consolidation while reducing network complexity and costs.
- Reduce inter-switch cabling by 75% and free up to 25% of ports for servers and storage.
- Maximize overall port density within the smallest amount of rack space while freeing up front-facing device ports for server and storage connectivity.
- Automate actions to simplify management and resolve issues without intervention.
- Increase visibility and simplify operations with a modern SAN management tool.
- Seamlessly integrate next generation NVMe into the storage fabric without a disruptive rip-and replace.
|Base Models||Brocade X7-4 and X7-8 include: 2 core routing blades, 2 control processor modules, 4-port rail kits and software (Fabric Vision, Trunking, Extended Fabrics, Integrated routing and CUP)|
|Chassis||The X7-4 has 4 open blade slots, while the X7-8 has 8 open blade slots|
|Fibre Channel Blades||
48-port blade with 48 64G Fibre Channel SFP+ transceivers or 48 32G SFP+ transceivers
64-port blade with 16 4x32G Fibre Channel SWL QSFP+ transceivers for 64 32G connections
|Extension Blades||Brocade SX6 Extension Blade provides Fibre Channel extension (16×32G Fibre Channel ports) and IP extension over IP networks (16×1GbE/10GbE and 2×40GbE ports).|
|Performance||4/8/10/16/32/64G line speed, full duplex. Autosensing of 4/8/16/32/64G port speeds depending on SFPs used, support for speed matching. 10G port speeds with dedicated SFPs.
FCoE: 10GbE, 25GbE, or 40GbE FCoE speeds with FC32-64 port blade
|Multi-chassis with UltraScale ICL Ports||Up to 4608 Fibre Channel ports; UltraScale ICL ports (32 for 8-slot or 16 per 4-slot chassis, optical QSFP) connect up to 9 chassis in a full-mesh topology or up to 12 chassis in a core-edge topology.|
|Chassis Bandwidth||Brocade X7-8: 31Tb/s per chassis with 384 device ports + 32 UltraScale ICL connections supporting 128 ports.
Brocade X7-4: 15.5Tb/s per chassis with 192 device ports + 16 UltraScale ICL connections supporting 64 ports.
|Chassis Power||X7-8: 4 PSUs for 2+2 redundancy
X7-4: 2 PSUs for 1+1 redundancy
Choice of AC or High Voltage PSU’s.
|Cooling||X7-8: Requires 3 fan tray assemblies; X7-4: Requires 2 fan tray assemblies|
|Airflow||Choice of Non-port side intake or non-port side exhaust PSU’s and fan trays.|
|Solution Availability||Designed to provide 99.999% uptime capabilities; hot-pluggable redundant power supplies, fans, WWN cards, processors, core switching, port blades, and optics; online diagnostics; non disruptive firmware download and activation.|
|Enclosure||X7-8: 14U rack-mountable chassis; X7-4: 8U rack-mountable chassis|
Lenovo (HKSE: 992) (ADR: LNVGY) is a US$70 billion revenue global technology powerhouse, ranked #159 in the Fortune Global 500, employing 75,000 people around the world, and serving millions of customers every day in 180 markets. Focused on a bold vision to deliver smarter technology for all, Lenovo is expanding into new growth areas of infrastructure, mobile, solutions and services. This transformation is building a more inclusive, trustworthy, and sustainable digital society for everyone, everywhere.
For More Information
To learn more about the Brocade X7-4 and X7-8 FC Directors, contact your Lenovo representative or Business Partner or visit: SAN Fibre Channel Switches product page.
Learn more about Lenovo Servers
Learn more about Lenovo Services
GET IT AS A SERVICE?
Learn more about Lenovo TruScale
Related product families
Product families related to this document are the following:
© 2023 Lenovo. All rights reserved.
Availability: Offers, prices, specifications and availability may change without notice. Lenovo is not responsible for photographic or typographic errors. Warranty: For a copy of applicable warranties, write to: Lenovo Warranty Information, 1009 Think Place, Morrisville, NC, 27560. Lenovo makes no representation or warranty regarding third-party products or services.
Trademarks: Lenovo and the Lenovo logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Lenovo. Other company, product, or service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
Document number DS0154, published March 28, 2023. For the latest version, go to lenovopress.lenovo.com/ds0154.