Reduce time to value with pretested hardware configurations
Support for Transactional and Data Warehouse Applications
The volume and complexity of data is increasing everywhere, and the ability to capture and use it is becoming more important for organizations across almost every industry. Digital transactions and experiences are expected to be available across geographies and time zones. With this data volume increase and its geographic proliferation, the ability to analyze data for operational results and market trends is of paramount importance to businesses large and small.
To address both of these needs, Lenovo has developed validated design based solutions with the breadth of scope that allows them to easily accommodate both transactional database and Decision Support Systems (data warehouse) database workloads. With their unified architecture approach, these cost-effective solutions include all the infrastructure components and hardware resources optimized to address both types of workloads in order to address the needs of enterprises and smaller businesses.
The principle components of these validated designs include Lenovo ThinkSystem and ThinkAgile servers, ThinkSystem all flash storage arrays as well as Microsoft SQL Server software.
Faster Time to Deploy
These Microsoft SQL Server designs are faster and easier to deploy using pre-tested/certified hardware configurations. The resulting pre-tested solutions employ the infrastructure configuration details required for Microsoft SQL Server. These solutions enable businesses to accelerate their Microsoft SQL Server deployment and quickly provision infrastructure resources in a repeatable and consistent manner.
Reduce Equipment and Operating Costs
Designing and sizing a Microsoft SQL Server solution is not a trivial task. It is common for data warehouse architects to over provision hardware and software systems anticipating future growth and peak demands not accounting for the latest features, performance and capabilities. This typically results in higher hardware costs, software costs and maintenance costs. These Lenovo solutions solve this business problem. They are validated configurations that include compute, storage and networking elements that can be easily deployed, managed, configured and reconfigured as business and application needs change.
- Deploy an on-line transaction processing (OLTP) or Decision Support Systems (data warehouse) database architecture for Microsoft SQL Server
- Minimize deployment time and cost with pre-tested and optimized infrastructure configurations
- Scale the design easily based on workload requirements.
Microsoft SQL Server 2019
As one of the fastest growing database platforms, Microsoft SQL Server deployments are becoming increasingly critical to organizations. They are used in everything from departmental databases to business-critical workloads, including enterprise resource planning, customer relationship management and business intelligence. At the same time, Microsoft SQL Server is rapidly becoming much more than just a relational database. With the release of Microsoft SQL Server 2019, you can now:
- Gain insights from all your data by querying across relational, non-relational, structured, and unstructured data, for a complete picture of your business
- Boost performance by utilizing persistent memory
- Make better predictions by ingesting and prepping data and then training, storing and operationalizing machine learning models all in one system
- Easily deploy your database using Linux containers on a Kubernetes cluster
Lenovo has developed a wide range of solutions utilizing Microsoft SQL Server in both transactional and data warehouse environments. The configurations integrate a variety of Lenovo systems, robust storage options and the capabilities of Microsoft SQL Server to improve time to value, optimize performance and provide a faster return on investment.
In addition, Lenovo has developed the following solutions leveraging Microsoft Azure services:
- Manage on premises Microsoft SQL Server databases with Microsoft Azure Arc for Data Services on Lenovo ThinkAgile MX systems
- Process data aggregated from scores of IoT devices locally using Microsoft Azure SQL Edge on Lenovo ThinkEdge servers for increased security and reduced latency
- Keep Microsoft SQL Server workloads and data safe and available online during planned and unplanned downtimes with Microsoft Azure Stack HCI stretched cluster high availability and disaster recovery solution on Lenovo ThinkAgile MX
- Leverage Azure Stack HCI on Lenovo ThinkAgile MX to integrate Microsoft SQL Server with Azure Site Recovery service and provide a cloud-based migration, restoration, and protection solution for your organization's data that is reliable and secure
Padua College, a Catholic day school in Australia, runs many of its critical business systems on a Lenovo ThinkAgile MX cluster, with some applications deployed to the Azure cloud. The school takes advantage of Azure Backup services to protect its virtual machines, workloads and data using the cloud. Read the case study.
Powered by Lenovo
The Lenovo Database Validated Configurations enable businesses to deploy Microsoft SQL Server solutions for edge, high performance and hybrid cloud applications with Lenovo ThinkSystem and ThinkAgile platforms, including the following:
- ThinkEdge SE350 - A 1U, 1-socket server is a rugged compact-sized Edge solution with a focus on smart connectivity, security, and manageability for harsh environments.
- ThinkSystem SR250 - A compact 1U/1-processor server that delivers enterprise-grade power ideal for small and medium businesses.
- ThinkSystem SR650 V2 -A 2U, 2-socket server that delivers the performance and reliability you require today, with the scalability and versatility you'll need in the future.
- ThinkAgile Platforms - Designed for easy deployment and manageability in scale-out clusters, the Lenovo ThinkAgile portfolio combines software from industry-leading hyperconverged ISVs with Lenovo's highly reliable and scalable servers. These appliances ship fully integrated, tested, and configured so that you can dramatically accelerate your time to value and reduce your infrastructure maintenance.
All Lenovo ThinkSystem servers are high performance systems, consistently holding numerous world performance benchmarks. Engineered for always-on productivity, ThinkSystem servers are consistently ranked #1 in x86 server reliability.
A sample of the Lenovo Smart Designs for Microsoft SQL Server are listed in the following table:
ThinkEdge SE350 Server
ThinkSystem SR250 Server
ThinkSystem SR650 V2 Server
ThinkAgile MX HCI
|Platform||SQL Server Version||Workloads||Size or Scalability||Availability||Document|
|ThinkSystem SR630||SQL Server 2017||DW||10TB||Simplex||Link|
|ThinkSystem SR655||SQL Server 2017||DW||10TB||Simplex||Link|
|ThinkSystem SR650 & DM7100F||SQL Server 2019||DW||70TB||HA||Link|
|ThinkSystem SR665||SQL Server 2019||DW||125TB||Simplex||Link|
|ThinkSystem SR860 V2||SQL Server 2019||DW||150TB||Simplex||Link|
|ThinkSystem SR950||SQL Server 2017||DW||200TB||Simplex||Link|
|ThinkSystem SR250||SQL Server 2019||Both||20TB||Simplex||Link|
|ThinkSystem SR650 V2||SQL Server 2019||Both||100TB||Simplex||Link|
|ThinkEdge SE350||SQL Server 2019||OLTP||Up to 2 nodes||Simplex or HA||Link|
|ThinkSystem SR650 with PMem||SQL Server 2019||OLTP||Up to 2 nodes||Simplex or HA||Link|
|ThinkSystem SR650 with Containers||SQL Server 2019||OLTP||Up to 2 nodes||Simplex or HA||Link|
|ThinkAgile HX||SQL Server 2017||OLTP||3 to 64 nodes||HA||Link|
|ThinkAgile MX||SQL Server 2019||OLTP||2 to 16 nodes||HA||Link|
|ThinkSystem SR650||SQL Server 2019 Big Data Clusters||OLAP/OLTP/Spark||Up to 16 nodes||HA||Link|
Attached Storage Arrays
All configurations support either on-board storage or attached storage with the Lenovo ThinkSystem DM7000F or DE6000F Storage Arrays. These all-flash arrays offer a range of connectivity options, minimizing latency and maximizing performance. The DM Series provides strong data management with block and file support. The DE Series provides maximum performance for block storage at an affordable price.
Connecting the servers to the data and storage networks can be easily accomplished with network switches. Options include 10, 25 and 100 GbE switches as well 16 and 32 Gb Fibre Channel switches.
Lenovo offers a wide range of complementary software offerings for your Microsoft SQL Server environments.
Whether you desire to run Microsoft SQL Server on Linux, Windows or containers, Lenovo can provide you with the OS software. Lenovo offers Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) Linux distributions, and the current and previous versions of Windows Server.
System management is achieved through Lenovo XClarity Administrator, a centralized resource management solution that is aimed at reducing complexity, speeding response, and enhancing the availability of Lenovo server systems and solutions. Lenovo XClarity Administrator provides agent-free hardware management for Lenovo servers, storage, and network switches, and integrates with Microsoft Windows Admin Center for single pane of glass control.
The Veeam Availability Suite provides SQL Server database deployments with the protection and recovery performance necessary to meet recovery point objective and recovery time objective goals. Veeam provides reliable, agentless, image-level backup for Microsoft SQL Server databases that run any supported operating system and hypervisor, with transaction log backup and replay capability so that you can restore your Microsoft SQL Server database to a precise point in time — even to a specific transaction.
Tying It All Together with Services
The solutions can be installed and configured with the help of Lenovo Services. Lenovo Services can help you:
- Drive Digital Transformation. Select the best architectures suited to your unique needs.
- Foster Innovation. Free up your internal resources to focus on initiatives that grow your business.
- Simplify Your Support Experience. Gain a trusted partner who understands your systems and solutions to fully support and optimize your data center.
The Wilkins Group, a packaging manufacturer in Europe, deployed a hyperconverged infrastructure with Lenovo ThinkAgile HX to achieve 100% uptime for its applications including Microsoft SQL Server, ensuring that its manufacturing lines can run 24/7. Read the case study.
ThinkAgile Advantage Services
Included with your ThinkAgile systems are ThinkAgile Advantage Services, which deliver proactive, solution-oriented support for your Lenovo ThinkAgile systems. This includes end-to-end case management and problem resolution, with a dedicated Lenovo phone number for expedited response. Lenovo ThinkAgile Advantage services extend these benefits with 24x7 support, allowing your IT team to focus on developing proficiencies that give your business a competitive edge. It's an efficient way to keep your investment working for you, with minimal disruption to your staff resources.
Lenovo is a leading provider of x86 servers for the data center. Featuring rack, tower, blade, dense and converged systems, the Lenovo server portfolio provides excellent performance, reliability and security. Lenovo also offers a full range of storage, software, solutions, and comprehensive services supporting business needs throughout the IT lifecycle.
For More Information
To learn more about Lenovo Database Validated Designs for Microsoft SQL Server Database, contact your Lenovo Business Partner or visit: lenovo.com/systems
Lenovo ThinkSystem servers with Microsoft SQL Server software provide high performance, cost effective transactional or data warehouse solutions. Additionally SQL Server 2019 Big Data Clusters allows you to deploy scalable clusters of SQL Server, Spark, and HDFS containers all running side-by side.
Related product families
Product families related to this document are the following:
- Microsoft Alliance
- Microsoft Applications
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Microsoft Windows
- ThinkSystem SE350 Edge Server
- ThinkSystem SR250 Server
- ThinkSystem SR630 Server
- ThinkSystem SR635 Server
- ThinkSystem SR645 Server
- ThinkSystem SR650 V2 Server
- ThinkSystem SR655 Server
- ThinkSystem SR665 Server
- ThinkSystem SR860 V2 Server
- ThinkSystem SR950 Server
Trademarks: Lenovo, the Lenovo logo, Lenovo Services, ThinkAgile, ThinkEdge, ThinkSystem, and XClarity® are trademarks or registered trademarks of Lenovo. Linux® is the trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries. Arc®, Azure®, Microsoft®, SQL Server®, Windows Server®, and Windows® are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both. Other company, product, or service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.