Published25 May 2023
PDF size16 pages, 508 KB
The RT5kVA and RT6kVA 3U Rack or Tower Uninterruptible Power Supply-G2 offerings provide extended power protection with increased efficiency and simplified power management to safeguard high-availability of Lenovo server environments. With efficiency ratings of up to 98%, these compact 3U rack or tower designs can help reduce energy usage without compromising performance or reliability.
The 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 units can be installed in a data center rack cabinet or can be used as tower UPS units in office and distributed IT environments where extended power protection is required.
The RT5kVA and RT6kVA 3U Rack or Tower Uninterruptible Power Supply-G2 offerings provide extended power protection with increased efficiency and simplified power management to safeguard high-availability of Lenovo server environments. With efficiency ratings of up to 98%, these compact 3U rack or tower designs can help reduce energy usage without compromising performance or reliability. The 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 units can be installed in a data center rack cabinet or can be used as tower UPS units in office and distributed IT environments where extended power protection is required.
The 3U Rack UPS-G2 unit (RT5kVA or RT6kVA) is shown in the following figure.
Figure 1. RT5kVA or RT6kVA 3U Rack UPS-G2 unit
Did you know?
3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 units feature Advanced Battery Management (ABM) technology that uses a unique three-stage charging technique that significantly extends battery service life and optimizes recharge time, compared to traditional charging methods.
3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 units can enhance system availability with individual receptacle groups or load segments that can be programmed and controlled, which allows mission-critical devices to be prioritized during shutdown to preserve battery run time if there is a prolonged power outage.
3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 units come standard with UPS Manager software that integrates seamlessly with the major virtualization platforms, which enables you to view and manage your entire power system from your current dashboard. It also triggers live migration during power outages and avoids data loss by gracefully shutting down virtual machines and hosts in a cluster if there is an extended power outage.
The following tables show the orderable feature code, CTO, LFO and part number codes for the 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 models and options.
Table 1. Ordering feature code, CTO and LFO models
|RT5kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 (200-240VAC)||BV3C||7DD5CTO3WW||7DD5A007WW|
|RT6kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 (200-240VAC)||BV3B||7DD5CTO3WW||7DD5A008WW|
|Extended Battery Modules|
|5kVA/6kVA 3U Rack or Tower Extended Battery Module-G2||BV3D||7DD5CTO3WW||7DD5A009WW|
Table 2. Ordering feature code and Part number option
|Description||Feature code||Part number|
|Environmental Monitoring Probe-G2||BV3H||4XF7A87625|
- The RT5kVA and RT6kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 models ship standard with the Network Management Card (NMC), software license for IPM and EMP.
The RT5kVA and RT6kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 model include the following items:
- An accessory kit that contains the following items:
- Rack-mount kit
- Rack installation instructions
- Tower kit
- Serial cable: 1.2 m (4 ft)
- USB cable
- Remote On/Off (ROO) and Remote Power Off (RPO) connector
- Documentation package
The Extended Battery Modules (EBMs) are shipped with the following items:
- An accessory kit that contains the following items:
- Rack-mount kit
- Tower kit
- EBM power cable
- EBM detection cable
- Documentation package
The RT5kVA and RT6kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 models do not ship with line cords.
Table 2 lists the compatible line cords that are suitable for the RT5kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS unit. The RT6kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS unit has a hardwired terminal block connector for AC input power.
Table 3. Line cords for the RT5kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 unit
|Description||Part number||Feature code|
|DPI 30A Cord (NEMA L6-30P)||40K9614||6500|
|DPI 32A Cord (IEC 309 P+N+G)||40K9612||6502|
|DPI PDU+ Australian/NZ 3112 Cord (32A)||40K9617||6505|
|DPI PDU+ Korean 8305 Line Cord (30A)||40K9618||6506|
All 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 models come standard with an NMC. The NMC provides convenient, over-the-network UPS remote monitoring and management through a standard web browser or UPS Power Manager software. Figure below shows the UPS NMC.
Figure 2. UPS Network Management Card
The NMC has the following features:
- Versatile connectivity through HTTP, SNMP, SMTP, Telnet, SSL, and SSH
- Simultaneous shutdown of protected servers
- Configuration of automatic email messages in response to UPS alarms and to transmit periodic reports
- Customizable actions, including automatic shutdown if there is an extended power failure with standard UPS Power Protector software
- Control of UPS on/off switching with a web browser
- Adjustment and control of load segments through the HTML interface, including sequential starting of the installation and optimization of backup time by shutting down non-priority systems
- Automatic date and time adjustment through an NTP server
- Dual stack IP v4/IP v6
- Recording of events and measurements in the card log
- Data and event logging in the nonvolatile memory
- Card firmware update through the network
- 10/100 Mb Ethernet (RJ-45 connector) with auto-negotiation
- Measurement of humidity and temperature with the optional Environmental Monitoring Probe (EMP)
The Environmental Monitoring Probe-G2 (part number 4XF7A87625) is used to report local temperature and humidity values and make that information available to management tools.
The EMP connects to the UPS via the NMC. The EMP is shown below.
Figure 3. Environmental Monitoring Probe
The EMP has the following features:
- Monitors temperature, humidity, and status of two user-provided contact devices or sensors
- Connects to an NMC through an RJ-45 CAT5 Ethernet cable (1 m cable included with the EMP)
- Can be located up to 20 m (65.6 ft) from the UPS
- Measures ambient temperatures between 0 - 80 °C (32 - 176 °F) with an accuracy of ±1 °C
- Measures relative humidity between 10 - 90% with an accuracy of ±5%
- Temperature, humidity, and contact closure status can be displayed through a web browser
- Supports user-defined alarm thresholds for temperature, humidity, and contact closure status
- Events are stored in the NMC's event log
- Sends SNMP alarms to network management systems
- Sends e-mail notifications through SMTP
A UPS is a device that acts as a defensive barrier between electronic equipment and incoming power problems. It conditions, regulates, and filters out power disturbances to ensure a clean power source for IT equipment. A UPS also provides battery backup if there is a power failure.
In today’s high availability server environments, unplanned power outages or line quality irregularities can have a considerable financial impact on all sized businesses. The typical utility power is 99.9% available, but that means that there can be almost 9 hours of downtime a year, not to mention brownouts and other power quality problems. Selecting the right UPS can help protect against these potentially costly issues.
The RT5kVA and RT6kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 units protect against power failures, power sags, power surges, under-voltage, electrical line noise, over-voltage, frequency variation, switching transients, and harmonic distortion.
The RT5kVA and RT6kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 models offer the following features:
- High-efficiency protection delivers more real power (Watts) in a compact tower or 3U rack design, lowering power and cooling consumption
- A graphical Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) that provides intuitive configuration, management and monitoring capabilities in the following languages to reduce management complexity:
- Hot-swappable batteries for maximum uptime, availability, and ease of maintenance
- Standard UPS Power Manager software that provides effective local or remote power monitoring and management for servers and virtual machines, and allows for graceful remote system shutdown
- ABM technology that significantly extends battery service life and optimizes recharge time
- Load segments for individual control of receptacle groups to manage sequential shut downs and start ups and reserve battery run time for the most critical equipment
- Optional EBMs that provide extra run time to critical systems during a prolonged power outage
- Standard Network Management Card (NMC) for enhanced UPS monitoring and control over-the-network through a standard web browser
- An optional EMP for thermal management requirements (temperature and humidity)
- Dual channel communication through the USB or RS-232 port at the same time to maximize communications flexibility
- Remote flash upgradeable firmware for both the UPS and NMC, which makes it an ideal solution for remote locations
- An ROO and RPO port to control power of the UPS unit through a wired remote switch
Table 3 lists the technical specifications for the 5kVA and 6kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 models.
|Specification||RT5kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS (200-240VAC)||RT6kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS (200-240VAC)|
|Form factor||3U Rack or Tower||3U Rack or Tower|
|Topology||Online, double conversion, sinewave output|
|VA/Watts rating||5000 VA/4500 W||6000 VA/5400 W|
|Efficiency (on utility power)||
|Energy Star compliant||Yes||Yes|
|Input voltage||200 - 240 V AC||200 - 240 V AC|
|Input frequency||50/60 Hz||50/60 Hz|
|Max input amperage||25 A||30 A|
|Input connector||Proprietary||Hardwired terminal block|
|Input line cord||Optional (See Table 2)||Onsite wiring required|
|Output voltage settings||200/208/220/230/240 V AC||200/208/220/230/240 V AC|
|Output frequency||50/60 Hz||50/60 Hz|
|Output power capacity||200-240 V AC: 5000 VA/4500 W||200-240 V AC: 6000 VA/5400 W|
|Output load segments||
|Battery type||Valve Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA): Maintenance-free, sealed, leak-proof|
|Battery management||ABM technology or temperature-compensated charging method (user selectable), automatic battery test and deep discharge protection, automatic recognition of external battery units.|
|Battery replacement||Hot-swap internal battery and extended battery modules|
|External battery support||Up to 4 (LFO 7DD5A009WW)||Up to 4 (LFO 7DD5A009WW)|
|Typical backup times||See Table below|
|Communications and management|
|USB port (Type B)||Yes||Yes|
|RS-232 serial port (RJ-45)||Yes||Yes|
|10/100 Mbps Ethernet port (RJ-45)||Yes (on the NMC)|
|Environmental monitoring||Optional with EMP, 4XF7A87625 (requires NMC, 4C57A87624)|
|Management software||UPS Power Manager (UPM) and UPS Power Protector (UPP)|
|Control panel||Intelligent 5-button graphical LCD|
|LED indicators||Online, On Battery, Bypass, and Fault|
|Remote On/Off and Power Off||Remote On/Off (ROO) and Remote Power Off (RPO) terminal block connectors|
Table below lists the expected period that the 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 models operate only on batteries, depending on the load.
Note: Battery backup times are approximate and can vary with equipment, configuration, battery age, and temperature.
Run time, Minutes
|Percentage||Watts||No EBM||1x EBM||2x EBMs||3x EBMs||4x EBMs|
|RT5kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 (200-240VAC)|
|RT6kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 (200-240VAC)|
Connectors and controls
The front of the RT5kVA and RT6kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 units feature a 5-button graphical LCD. The display provides useful information about the UPS, load status, events, measurements, and settings.
The following figure shows the control panel on the front of the 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2
Figure 4. Control panel on the front of the RT5kVA or RT6kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2
The following functions are available on the control panel:
- Status information: Displays the battery status, load percentage, output power, operational mode, and load group information.
- Measurements: Displays the output Watts, VA, amperage, power factor, voltage, frequency, input voltage, input frequency, battery voltage, efficiency, and power usage.
- Control: Displays the battery test, reset error state, configure load segments, clear power usage measurements, and restore settings.
- Settings: Allows you to change product general parameters and set input and output parameters, on/off conditions, and battery configuration.
- Event log: Displays the stored events, selects faults, alarms and events to display, and clears events.
- Fault log: Displays the event log and alarm history.
- Identification: Displays the machine type, model, and serial number of the unit, and the firmware level of the UPS, including the NMC’s firmware level and IP address.
The following figure shows the rear view of the RT5kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 (200-240VAC) (7DD5CTO3WW).
Figure 5. Rear view of the RT5kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 (200-240VAC) (7DD5CTO3WW)
The following figure shows the rear view of the RT6kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 (200-240VAC) (7DD5CTO3WW).
Figure 6. Rear view of the RT6kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 (200-240VAC) (7DD5CTO3WW)
The following figure shows the rear view of the 5kVA/6kVA 3U Rack or Tower Extended Battery Module-G2 (BV3D).
Figure 7. Rear view of the 5kVA/6kVA 3U Rack or Tower Extended Battery Module-G2 (BV3D)
The 5kVA and 6kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 units have the following physical specifications (approximate):
- Height: 130 mm (5.1 in.)
- Width: 441 mm (17.4 in.)
- Depth: 685 mm (27.0 in.)
- Weight: 48 kg (106 lb)
The 5kVA/6kVA 3U Rack or Tower Extended Battery Module-G2 has the following physical specifications (approximate):
- Height: 130 mm (5.1 in.)
- Width: 441 mm (17.4 in.)
- Depth: 645 mm (25.4 in.)
- Weight: 68 kg (150 lb)
The RT5kVA and RT6kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 units are supported in the following environment:
- Temperature (operation): 0 - 40 °C (32 - 104 °F), with linear derating for altitude
- Relative humidity: 0 - 95%
- Maximum altitude (operation): 3,000 m (9,843 ft)
The RT5kVA and RT6kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS units conform to the following regulations:
- RoHS Compliant
The RT5kVA and RT6kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 models and the Extended Battery Module (EBM), including batteries, have a 2-year limited warranty.
Eaton’s Intelligent Power Manager (IPM2) software for disaster-avoidance applications provides the tools you need to monitor and manage power equipment in physical or virtual environments to keep IT devices running during a power or environmental event.
This innovative software ensures system uptime and data integrity by allowing you to remotely monitor, manage and control devices on your network. IPM2 provides a solution that is easy to use, maintains business continuity and allows you to do more with less.
Intelligent Power Manager (IPM)
IPM is an easy-to-use disaster avoidance platform with sophisticated capabilities that include triggering alerts and automating resolutions to keep applications running. IPM enables you to:
- Leverage Eaton’s integrations with industry leaders to keep critical applications running and automate resolutions for your entire network risking potential downtime.
- Migrate workloads to increase system uptime and minimize generator load by suspending non-critical virtual machines.
- Power cap servers to keep critical loads running longer by limiting server power consumption.
- Support for up to 600 devices.
The Intelligent Power Manager (IPM) offers three levels of licenses
Monitor, manage and optimize. IPM Optimize is the premium offering and provides the most complete set of capabilities.
|Monitor Edition||Manage Edition||Optimize Edition|
Choose this option if your key objective is to monitor an IT room
|Choose this option if your key objective is to manage a number of UPSs and/or you are looking for basic graceful shutdown||Choose this option if you need virtualization load-shedding|
Maintain business continuity: Minimize operating expenses
- Intelligent load-shedding: Increase system uptime while extending battery runtime and minimizing generator load by suspending non-critical virtual machines.
- Site Recovery Manager failover: Reduce data recovery expenses by syncing primary and disaster-recovery sites prior to power failures.
- Power capping on demand: Keep critical workloads running longer during a power outage by limiting server power consumption.
Eaton’s strategic alliances: integration with industry leaders
Eaton understands that power protection is only one aspect of IT environments. By partnering with the industry’s leading global IT providers, Eaton helps you harness the full power of your data centre.
Together with our alliance partners, Eaton aims to solve even the most complex IT challenges while continuing to provide the ultimate in power protection.
Eaton’s Intelligent Power Manager resources:
Refer to the following resources:
The RT5kVA and RT6kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 offerings are compatible with all ThinkSystem, System x and ThinkServer systems and other devices that require AC power.
To determine the best fit UPS for a particular configuration, the following needs to be considered:
- Total power load of the hardware that will be connected to the UPS
- Number and type of outlets required
- UPS outlet and group limitations for connecting the hardware to the UPS
To determine chassis, node and server overall power capacities, use the Power Configurator tool. The tool can be downloaded from http://support.lenovo.com/documents/LNVO-PWRCONF
To determine the power draw of other devices such as storage and switching that will be attached to the UPS, refer to the products user manual for the maximum power draw.
For additional technical information on the UPS line cords, outlets and grouping refer to the UPS Technical Reference, https://support.lenovo.com/docs/UM104477
Supported rack cabinets
The RT5kVA and RT6kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 units can be installed in the compatible rack cabinets that are listed in the following table.
Table 7. Rack cabinets
|93072RX||25U Standard Rack|
|93072PX||25U Static S2 Standard Rack|
|93634PX||42U 1100mm Dynamic Rack|
|93634EX||42U 1100mm Dynamic Expansion Rack|
|93604PX||42U 1200mm Deep Dynamic Rack|
|93614PX||42U 1200mm Deep Static Rack|
|93074RX||42U Standard Rack|
Related publications and links
For more information about this topic, refer to these documents:
- Rack & Power Infrastructure Options page
- Power and Cooling Technical References:
- Product specifications and resources - RT6kVA 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2 (200-240VAC):
- Installation and User's Guide - 3U Rack or Tower UPS-G2
- Network Management Card User Guide
Related product families
Product families related to this document are the following:
Lenovo and the Lenovo logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Lenovo in the United States, other countries, or both. A current list of Lenovo trademarks is available on the Web at https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/legal/copytrade/.
The following terms are trademarks of Lenovo in the United States, other countries, or both:
Other company, product, or service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.